Saturday, January 24, 2009

God-given Righteousness

Charles Spurgeon is a bible gangster. I love this preacher.

I wanted to write about my new found God-given determination in everything I do. But I woke up this morning and started reading out loud an entire Charles Spurgeon sermon. And something he said/wrote shocked me - it hit me hard. He said this...

"Oh, to think that such an One as Jesus should be our Savior, that Heaven’s Darling should condescend to assume our nature and become bone of our bone and flesh of our flesh! That He should live such a life and die such a death! That He should present to God a work so perfect, without flaw, without excess! Is there not room for praises here? Now we are as clean before the Lord because we have been washed in Christ’s blood, yes, we are as pure as if we had never sinned! And standing arrayed in Christ’s righteousness, we are more righteous, even, than Adam before the Fall, for he had only a human righteousness, but we have a Divine righteousness. In Christ Jesus, the second Adam, we are nearer to God than if we had been born of the first Adam while untainted by sin!
-Charles Spurgeon - 09.03.1876 - "Good News for Seekers" - Psalm 22:26

I can't believe the righteousness I have through Christ Jesus, and Him alone. I can't believe its power, its magnificence, and its glory. A divine righteousness rather than a human righteousness. Thank you God. It never hit me what kind of righteousness I was given until now. And to think before that Adam's righteousness before sin was at par with my God-provided one. Ha - what foolishness; what grace... simply amazing.

3 comments:

billykim said...

I can think of no other doctrine that brings me to my knees. Thanks for another reminder of grace, Cho.

Trace said...

Hi Cho!
Dude, Spurgeon is a gangster. I never thought about being more righteous than pre-fall Adam. Freaking crazy that holy God would be so gracious to sinful man!

Watson is the best. I like reading him the most. Yes Yes, read Doctrine of Repentance.

xSAMgyupsal said...

and amen again! it's seriously so hard to wrap my mind around the fact that Jesus died so that we might have a righteous standing before God... a righteousness that isn't of ourselves... a righteousness that isnt dependent on our works.... but solely on His love and His grace alone...